Soft Leaf Buffalo: Low-Maintenance and Water-Efficient Grass Type
Scientific name Stenotephrum Secundatum, Buffalo is a broad leaf grass variety notable for its shade tolerance and slow growing nature. A highly popular lawn, Buffalo is very prominant in Australian yards due to its well received aesthetic. The most common Buffalo seen today is soft leaf Sir Walter Buffalo.
Soft Leaf Buffalo - Worth the hype?
- Provides a soft surface
- Broader leaf for more efficient photosynthesis
- Not prone to insect damage common in most other turf varieties
- Many cultivars available
- Less likely to spread into gardens
- Renovation work is relatively low
- High levels of disease resilience
- Shade tolerant
- Thick and broad leaf creates resiliency toward weed growth
- Low levels of allergy and irritability
- Lacks sharp edges of regular buffalo
- Retains colour well throughout winter
Below you will find information on a selection of Buffalo cultivars that we recommend.
All ratings are on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. Water- the amount of water required. Softness- the softness of the turf. Growth rate- the speed of lawn growth. Activity- the turfs ability to cope with high levels of activity on the lawn. Maintenance- how much is required to maintain the turf. Evasiveness- the rate at which the turf spreads into garden beds etc.. Sun- the amount of sun the cultivar requires.
Sir Walter Buffalo- An Aussie Favourite
- Retains its colour well
- Slow growing- less frequent mowing
- Not invasive
- No sharp edges
- Less irritability
- Shade tolerant
- Less water requirements than most buffalo varieties
- Higher regenerative qualities than most buffalo varieties
All Sir Walter Buffalo installed by Green Oasis Lawn and Reticulation is officially DNA certified, with proof of certification provided.
Buffalo with Green Oasis
Buffalo is often the most desired for landscaped gardens, with its stunning broad leaf completing a beautiful scape. While the differences between Buffalo are subtle, they are many. Colour, leaf width, softness are just a few, while budget may also come in to play. But, whether Palmetto or Sir Walter, and all of those in between, Green Oasis Guarantee™ always applies. Inquire today to have your own piece of Australia’s favourite lawn.