When it comes to giving your lawn a makeover, laying new turf is the quickest way to revitalise and freshen up your outdoor space. Rather than sowing seeds which can take weeks or even months to grow in, turf is easy to lay and provides instant, stunning results. Plus, it offers many economic, social, environmental, and health benefits.
Follow our laying turf tips below to have a lush, new lawn in no time.
Choose the right turf for your garden
Start by finding a trusted supplier of good quality turf in your area. The type of turf most suitable for your garden depends on the shade and light, tricky spots such as areas around trees and whether you have pets or children who need a hard-wearing lawn to run and play on. Your supplier will likely advise what’s best for you.
Remove your existing lawn
If you have an existing lawn, you will need to remove it first. Laying turf over the current existing grass is not recommended as it will prevent the new turf from rooting well. It is also possible that weeds will come through the new turf.
You can remove an existing lawn either by lifting it using turf cutters or using a non-selective weed killer. The latter option will help you prevent weeds from coming up your new turf, but you may have to leave it for an estimate of 14 days so that it’s fully effective.
Pick the best season to lay your new turf
You can lay turf during any time of the year, as long as the ground is not muddy, frozen, very dry or waterlogged. However, spring and autumn are generally the best times to lay new turf. This is because their cooler temperatures are easier on plants and the soil is warm and soft enough to allow roots to grow. There is also plenty of rainwater to help your turf grow.
Look for these qualities
When you’re looking to buy, don’t be afraid to unroll the turfs to check their quality. Make sure they have these qualities:
- Each roll should be similar in size and appearance
- When lifted, the roll should hold together and be moist underneath
- The roll should not have brown or yellow patches — just rich green grass
- Each roll should not have weeds
- Each turf should be evenly mown and have sharp edges
- Each turf should have a uniform thickness of between 3-6mm in depth to ensure fast rooting and retention of moisture
Lay it as soon as it arrives
Only have your turf delivered by your lawn installation services provider when you’re 100% ready. Arrange the delivery ideally within 24 hours. It is crucial that the slabs or rolls of turf aren’t allowed to dry out. Your turf should also be watered immediately as turf that’s dried out by being left in the sun too long will struggle to prosper.
Laying Turf: The Basics in Preparation
Creating a perfect lawn entails preparation. Taking your time at this stage makes all the difference to your lawn’s growth and nourishment.
Before laying your turf, you need to create a level surface to ensure a good finish and healthy growth. Follow these steps:
- Remove any weeds, old grass, and any other roots or plants as well as rocks, stones and debris. Fill in any hollows and flatten any bumps and lumps.
- Break up the soil by raking it and then creating a level surface.
- Thoroughly tread the area to get rid of air pockets. This prevents sinking.
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until the area is uniformly level and firm.
- You can sprinkle fertiliser over the soil and rake it in.
- Water the soil until it’s moist but not muddy.
How Long After Preparing and Laying Turf Can You Walk on It?
On average, it’s okay to walk on a new turf at least three weeks after it has been installed. But everything depends on the season, weather and how well you prepared your ground. The new lawn will only be fully ready for action once the roots have penetrated the soil below.
While waiting, you need to keep on top of watering your lawn so that it establishes its roots and sticks to the ground. The more carefully you look after your lawn during its first few weeks, the better it will repay you in the months and years ahead.
Ready to lay your new turf? Reach out to Green Oasis Lawn and Reticulation. With over 15 years of experience as dedicated turf professionals, we work within your needs and budget to create the perfect outdoor space for your home.
For more information and enquiries, don’t hesitate to contact us today.